An Unusual Day!

It was Friday, March 13th, 2020 when something unexpected happened. Guatemala had the first case of the new coronavirus COVID 19. Since that moment everything changed. I was in my job, suddenly the coordinator was at my door and she told me to tell the student to take everything, books, notebooks, and any material they had in the classroom. She left, but her face was pale. I didn’t ask her what was happening, I just gave my students the instructions to take everything home. I was teaching, so I didn’t know what was happening. Check out time arrived, that was when I realized, what was happening. Our President was giving the news, “We have the first positive patient”, at that moment everything became chaos. My students were asking all the teachers what was happening? Why do they have to take everything home? We, the teachers, made a small group and we were discussing the topic and what we thought may happen. After the student left, we had a meeting, the coordinators were giving us some instructions and told us to take our stuff. On Monday, March 16th we had to go to school because they will tell us how to work. I was afraid, but I had to go. We had met at eight o’clock. I often had my classroom full of students, but that day my classroom was empty. When we came in, the English Principal had already given some instructions. She had always been a nice person, but that day she was frightened. Then we started to work, we had to make changes to our plans. We always had planned for an eighty minutes class, but since that day everything was about to change. By 10:30 a.m., we had written the plans for the first week. We had finished our work, so we really wanted to go home. But we had to wait for another meeting. The school’s Principal had prepared something special for us, she had brought a cake to share, after that activity we finally were able to go back home. Since that date, everything had changed, everything is different. I sometimes remembered the feelings of that day. I went to the supermarket last week, and I passed in front of my job, I really miss it. I feel my life was normal ages ago, and now we have to face our “new normality”. Now we have to remember: "For with God, nothing is impossible" Luke 1:37

Comentarios